After watching the video above, let me show you a BRIEF overview of how a few genetic pathways run, a few examples of what can go wrong, and how they have systemic downstream effects and can result in something like DNA damage (oxidative stress), or affect neurotransmitter production (so mood changes or mental health disorders).
In today’s video blog, I want to talk about why I think some people try SO hard to improve their health, but don’t get anywhere.
The kinds of conditions I’m talking about are:
- Mental Health Disorders like anxiety, depression, panic disorders, bi polar, schizophrenia, general moodiness
- Fatigue including chronic fatigue where the mitochondria just can’t seem to make or keep the right nutrients to function properly
- Brain fog, inability to concentrate, loss of balance
- Auto Immune Diseases
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Insomnia (often even though tired!)
- PMS, estrogen dominance disorders like menorrhagia (heavy periods), endometriosis, fibrocystic breasts
- Gut disorders which can be as simple as imbalance in gut flora or more serious with IBS, Crohns, UC, etc.
- Recurrent viral diseases – known or unknown – as they might be “stealth” and flying below your immune systems radar. They can incorporate into DNA and maybe this is even why our immune system attacks itself.
- Left untreated, we’re also talking about cancer and neurological diseases like Alzheimers, Parkinson’s, cancers and tremors.
Maybe you’re one of these people – you take supplements, you try to eat right…but to no avail. Maybe you know someone who fits the bill and if you do, I hope you’ll share this information with him/her. For some, it really is a matter of life and death because left untreated, it results in cancers, neurological diseases, and chronic unwellness after years of unmitigated damage.
Root Cause #1: Genetics
What happens is that if we have genetic SNP’s (pronounced snips) in some of our fundamental genes, it’s like having an accident on the freeway and pathways get slow or blocked. Methylation is a key metabolic reaction in about every cell of our body. We methylate to make and repair DNA, RNA, make neurotransmitters (like melatonin for sleep), GABA (calming neurotransmitter), creatinine, coQ10, phosphatidylcholine, and more. Hundreds or thousands of reactions depend on methylation. And it can have SNP’s (think of a SNP like a mutation for illustrative purposes). If we can’t methylate well, all those reactions are hindered. And, this itself has downstream effects where other pathways don’t get the materials they need, so they are hindered as well. A domino effect.
Root Cause #2: Environmental Toxins
Now, throw in heavy metals that we are burdened with in our environment today and those add to the freeway jam. They literally stop metabolic processes. Left untreated over years, it can result in cancers, neurological diseases like ALS, MS, and Parkinson’s disease. I see patients who are testing high for heavy metals on a weekly basis, without provocation. It means that in the past 120 days (the life of a red blood cell), they have been exposed. Usually to not one but several toxic heavy metals. We think of food as medicine but it can also be one of our biggest sources of toxins. Our food, air, and water supplies are all contaminated – organic or not. And we’re exposed in our homes via paint, carpet, water pipes, etc.
The answer is individualized medicine, genetic testing, and appropriately treating root causes which are genetic SNP’s. The answer (IMO) is not throwing more drugs on top of the traffic congestion. Trust me, your liver is working overtime in today’s world.