Easy & Delicious (Non Dairy) Cream of Broccoli Soup
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup. 20 years ago, this would have been really unique but today, more and more people are going plant-based. And for good reason! The health benefits are proven! If you want to know more about the healthiest diet, IMO, you can read this article I wrote.
When I was in graduate school at Bastyr University, our entire cafeteria was vegan. We were blessed to be able to hit a salad bar loaded with a variety of items, and be able to pair it with a non-dairy soup like this.
Bastyr is where I learned about using cashew butter to simulate dairy in a recipe.
So anyway, we’d all be better off eating a lot more broccoli. It’s as simple as that.
As a green food, broccoli contains Magnesium, and Magnesium has over 400 functions in the human body.
Broccoli also contains Calcium-D-Glucarate which binds excess estrogen in the GI tract so that it is excreted, not re-absorbed. This is a good thing!
So, without further ado, here’s an easy, healthy recipe for non-dairy broccoli soup!
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup Ingredients:
- 1 onion of any color, sliced or minced
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (or saute in a couple T of the veggie broth)
- ~ 4 cups vegetable broth. Make your own or look for organic without citric acid, or natural flavors
- 1 large russet potato….or….. 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 4 cups broccoli pieces
1. In a heavy soup pot, coat onion slices in the oil or broth, then add a lid and steam/sweat the onion for about 10 minutes. You want the onion soft but not caramelized or it will change the flavor.
2. Add the broth and your choice of potato/cashew butter. If you use potato, give it enough time to soften. If you use the cashew butter, just stir thoroughly.
3. Add the broccoli pieces and cover again so they steam.
4. When the broccoli is soft, remove from heat. If you are using an immersion blender, you can puree it while it’s pretty hot. If you are going to put it in a blender, be VERY careful as it can blow the top right off the blender when you puree hot food.
5. Salt to taste at the table (so you use less salt) and garnish as you’d like.
You might also like “Improve your health in 3 free easy ways“