“Should I be juicing or blending smoothies?”
I get asked this question a lot.
Want better health? The answer is: BOTH.
- Smoothies are essential because we DO need fiber to support a healthy microbiome. By eating the whole food, this is easily accomplished.
- Smoothies are also an amazing way to get a lot of calories in. This might be helpful if you have trouble keeping your weight up, or if you are quite active physically and need higher-than-usual calories. Your friends will think your hiding a pet monkey when they see you at the market with a cart full of banana’s, but if you need to keep weight on, put 3-6 banana’s in each smoothie. And add 6+ medjool dates too. It will be creamy and delicious and easy to drink!
- If you don’t want to gain weight, keep your smoothie to 10-12 oz of banana’s and just add 1 medjool date. Dates are awesome for adrenal health! Be sure NOT to add fat to your fruit & veggie smoothie as well.
- And last but not least, we can hide things in smoothies that we might not be fond of eating, or at least can get higher quantities in than we would eat. I use my smoothie to make sure that I get 5-8 oz of raw spinach, plus cilantro and parsley. Sure, I like all those foods, but without a smoothie, there would be plenty of days that I’d be short on getting my greens in. We need those greens for the minerals they provide to our bones and teeth.
I drink a smoothie ~ 360 days a year. When we travel, we look for a place with a kitchen. Or at least pack a long my immersion blender which will get me by in a pinch. It’s pretty rare that I miss a day!
- Juice is liquid medicine. It’s not just food anymore; it’s near to IV nutrition really. It doesn’t matter if you have a trashed gut, juice is easily and rapidly absorbed. In fact, I sometimes prescribe additional juicing to allow a patients digestive tract to rest and regenerate. Juice is a critical component in treatment plans when we are dealing with serious health conditions.
- Juicing allows high-quality nutrients to cleanse the blood via liver and kidney detox pathways. We are exposed to toxins 24/7, from the mattress we sleep on, to the air we breath. There is no getting away from toxins, and drinking a variety of fresh juice can support in their removal.
- Juicing – especially green juices – alkalize your tissues – and tons of research indicates that cancer can’t live in an alkaline environment. If you were to be diagnosed with any form of cancer, and wanted to treat it without chemo/radiation, juicing would be an essential piece of your treatment plan. Given that cancer is on the rise, drinking green juices is an effective prevention strategy. Why wait until their are potential dire consequences before adding in green juices to your life?
Juices and smoothies both can be in addition to healthy meals, or in lieu of.
Every morning at the Konoske house, we do both. We juice, and then we each drink enough smoothie to hold us until lunch. If I’m in the mood and have time, I often find myself making another green juice or another smoothie mid-afternoon. This loads my body with health-building nutrients. I feel great and I think green juices and fruit/greens smoothies are the true “fountain of youth”.
Food IS Medicine!!
What equipment should you get?
Juicers: I am on my 4th and final juicer. I finally have invested in the Cadillac of juicers in my opinion. We have the base Angel juicer, and it can be passed down to my kids and their kids! It is stainless steel, and sturdy. Each auger weighs about a pound they literally squish the juice out of the foods. It does great on both fruits and vegetables. Fruits were definitely an issue for my Omega Juicer.
Blenders. I have owned a Vita Mix for ~ 15 years. Maybe longer. In fact, I might be the only person I know who has worn one out. We just replaced it with another Vita Mix last month. We have 2 containers and it allows us to each make our smoothie in the morning without waiting on the other person.
There are LOTS of good options. You don’t need a Vita Mix to make a smoothie, but if you are putting pomegranate seeds, and greens, you do need a good high-powered blender but there are several on the market these days. I happen to like the huge 2 liter container that Vita Mix provides.