Who doesn’t love a french fry now and then?
I know I do. But classic fries aren’t good for us right?
I’m here to show you how to make fries food-as-medicine!
In the fall and early winter, our health food store carries heirloom, organic, purple sweet potatoes. They are HEAVENLY when baked and why not use them to make sweet potato fries?!
Orange and Purple Sweet Potatoes
1. Slice the potatoes lengthwise into fairly thin strips because they need to cook all the way through in a reasonable amount of time.
2. Put the potatoes into a colander and add about 1 tablespoon of salt and mix them so all of the potatoes get some salt. This draws out extra moisture so they firm up when cooked. Let the potatoes and salt just sit for about 8-10 minutes. In the meantime, heat the oven to 350 F.
3. When it’s time, rinse the excess salt off of the potatoes and using paper towels or a dish towel, tamp off extra moisture.
4. In a bowl or even just your dry colander, now toss the wedges with (warmed, liquid) coconut oil. They should be coated but not drowning. Thus, I didnt list an amount because it’ll vary with how many potatoes you used.
5. Lay your sweet potato wedges on a baking sheet in a single layer. Salt if you wish and bake for 20 minutes. Check them and turn them over. How long it takes to bake them depends on the thickness of your wedges. But I’d plan on 30 minutes total, give or take another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them.
Remove and Enjoy!