Happy Labor Day weekend!
Before heading out for a fun long weekend, I wanted to share a recipe from the blog I’m Bored Let’s Go…
As you know, we garden and it’s pumping out the veggies. This cold soup is tasty and refreshing, especially in the “dog days of summer”. If you like this, you definitely need to try my spinach soup, which is also raw and amazing!
As you know, I try to eat 2/3’s of my meals raw. I do a banana/berry/spinach smoothie for breakfast and then a variety of these cold (raw but delicious) soups for lunch. Then some steamed veggies for dinner. Raw foods are digested easily and faster than cooked foods. This is especially helpful if you have slow motility (IBS-constipation or SIBO-Methane).
Hope you enjoy and have a healthy weekend!
1 pint yellow grape or cherry tomatoes
1 long English cucumber
1 bulb of fennel, trimmed, core removed
2 stalks of celery
2 cloves of garlic
1 large handful of organic spinach (be sure your greens are organic as it’s hard to wash off any pesticides!)
1 -2 large handfuls of fresh basil
2 cups water
The juice of 2 limes
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Do you know about the olive oil scams? Read more here)
1/2 jalapeno, seeded (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, finely chop the cucumber and tomatoes. Place in a large bowl.
- Do the same to the fennel, scallion, jalapeno, and garlic. Add to the bowl.
- Next, process the spinach and basil and add to the bowl as well.
- Add the water to the ingredients in the large bowl and stir to combine.
- Scoop about 2 cups of mixture back into your food processor. Add the avocados, lime juice, lemon juice, and oil. Blend until smooth.
- Add this mixture back to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Chill for a few hours unless your ingredients were nice and cold!
Leaving some ingredients still a little chunky will give some texture to the soup. You can puree all of it if you prefer a smoother soup.