I can’t hardly believe I don’t have this recipe on my site. A few winters back, I made it ALL the time! It’s fall in Montana and I grew leeks in the garden. It’s time to be using them so I picked up a few organic Yukon Gold potatoes.
3 medium sized organic (highly sprayed crop) Yukon Gold potatoes (or 1 head cauliflower)
1 can organic coconut milk
1 T+ coconut oil
2 cups broth
Salt to taste
Fresh herbs like parsley are great.
- Trim the end of the leek. Also trim off the heavy green end of the leeks. Wash and then slice the white and the light green.
- Saute your leek pieces in your heated oil. I do about 8 minutes and have at times also covered and steamed a bit. This hurries the process along if time is of the essence.
- Once your leeks are softened, add your diced potatoes, the coconut milk, your broth, and salt. Cover and simmer until tender. I use super low heat and just leave it for a good 40 minutes but I don’t have to worry about it.
- Once all your ingredients are super soft, let it cool enough that you can safely use a stick blender. Puree and serve! Salt to taste. If you want to jazz it up with herbs, go for it. Almost anything would be good!
- Garnish with carmelized onions and mushroom pieces!
PS – I leave the potato skins on but your choice! And i like it just a little lumpy so I have something to sort of chew:)