Grain-free granola. There’s lots of renditions out there. Here’s another. And I’m brewing up one that might have organic peanut butter or sunflower butter in it but that’s for another day.
Here it is!
4 cups any raw nuts: pecans, walnuts, cashews
1 cup sunflower seeds – I used salted and then didn’t add any additional salt
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup liquid/melted coconut oil
1/4 cup pourable local honey
1 tsp real vanilla
2 egg whites
Preheat oven to 300 F
1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Combine wet & dry ingredients.
4. Spread evenly over a cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and stir. Bake again for 10 minutes and remove. In order to get more chunks of “granola” don’t stir it until it cools – 10 to 20 minutes.
6. Once it’s completely cool, store in glass jars, avoiding plastic containers. I used wide mouth quart jars.
Notes: Use everything organic if you can.
- Cranberries are highly sprayed as a crop. They aren’t on the Dirty Dozen but ask any grower and you’ll get the same answer.
- Raisins are made from grapes right? Grapes ARE highly sprayed. Get organic!
- Hopefully you are buying eggs from a grower who let’s his/her chickens roam and they aren’t fed soy or corn.
PS – this would be great with banana ice cream. Freeze banana’s and run them through a Champion or Omega masticating juicer.
This is SCD legal but really is only for mature SCD-ers – as in you’ve been on the SCD protocol for a good month or two. It is barely sweet but does have honey and a little dried fruit. It is definitely not overly sweet but it’ll taste like heaven after 1-2 months on a strict SCD diet:)