I made this for lunch today and it was delicious! If you like hot and spicy foods add some chipotle powder or hot red pepper. Personally, I can’t handle much heat but it does have its benefits. Spicy foods release endorphins (mood booster!), relieve congestion, fight flu symptoms, reduce fevers, and prevent prostate cancer in men. Spicy foods also aid in weight loss- the hotness makes you want to eat less. They can also help with respiratory and stomach problems (it makes your stomach produce less acid) such as asthma and ulcers.
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
1/2 cup red lentils (dry)
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp fennel
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 cup water
1/3 cup coconut milk
brown rice, greens, avocado, cilantro, etc. to serve
1. Heat some oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic.
2. When fragrant, add chickpeas and cumin.
3. Saute for 2-3 minutes then add water, lentils, coconut milk and all spices.
4. Bring to boil, then reduce to medium-low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the lentils have absorbed all of the liquid and become mushy. You may add more liquid if you like your curry a little thinner (I added a splash more of coconut milk).
5. Serve curry over brown rice or a bowl of spinach and top with cilantro and avocado (or however you would like to serve it!).