This is a great, healthy version of classic creamy pasta sauces. This dish is loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and more. Did you know mushrooms are a source of Vitamin D? Many Americans don’t get enough Vitamin D, especially during the winter months. Without dairy in our diet it can be even harder to get enough Vitamin D because milk products have it added in. Mushrooms and salmon are a few great food sources to make sure you get it in your diet.
1 1/2 large sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup asparagus, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sweet potato, cut into chunks- about 1/2 a sweet potato
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 roasted red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. Begin by roasting your red pepper. Cut all sides off of the pepper, removing all seeds and white pith. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes or until the peppers blackened. Remove the peppers and place in a ziplock bag or a sealed glass container for 15-20 minutes. This will allow them to steam and the skins will easily come off. Discard the skins and use the peppers for sauce.
2. While the pepper is roasting, use a spiralizer or vegetable peeler to peel the sweet potatoes into strips for pasta.
3. Steam 1/2 a sweet potato to use for the sauce.
4. When sweet potato is soft and the roasted pepper is ready, combine all ingredients for the cream sauce into a blender until it is smooth and creamy.
5. Saute the mushrooms and asparagus with a little oil and water. Then add the sweet potato noodles. Saute until just tender and not mushy.
6. Add the “cream” sauce to the noodles and cover with a lid until everything is cooked and heated through.
7. Adjust seasoning to taste and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Detoxinista