This is a great seasonal soup for these cooler fall nights and SO easy! It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and anti-oxidants.
Carrots are known for their Vitamin A (great for your eye health- helps prevent cataracts and macular degeneration), Vitamin K (helps your blood clot), Vitamin C (helps body repair wounds and maintain bones and teeth), and fiber (helps regulate bowel movements and keep you full longer).
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups veggie broth – DIY or purchased without natural flavors
1 1/2 lbs carrots, chopped
2 T freshly grated ginger root
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, as garnish
1. Add onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup broth to a pot. Saute over medium heat until onions are translucent.
2. Add carrots and ginger. Cover with lid and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Add the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
5. Return to the pot and return to simmer.
6. Scoop into 4 soup bowls and garnish with cilantro.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can make a cashew cream sauce.
- Place 1/2 cup cashews in a bowl. Cover with water and soak for about 2 hours. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Place soaked cashews in the bowl of a food processor or blender with 1/2 cup water, some garlic, and salt. Puree until very, very smooth. Thin out with more water to desired consistency.
Recipe adapted from All Day Energy Diet Community Cookbook.