Here’s a twist on a classic Asian dish. When I was a kid I always requested beef and broccoli on the rare occasion we ordered Chinese takeout (my mom was always kind of a health nut too – which I’m now thankful for). Save this recipe for the next time your kids request Chinese takeout! You can feel good about not adding any MSG or any other mystery ingredients. This just requires simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry!
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 lb sirloin steak
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbsp flax meal (remember your body can’t digest and absorb the full nutritional benefits from flax seeds, it is best to get them ground)
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup veggie broth
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Thinly slice the beef and add to skillet to brown. Remove beef from pan to a side dish, and get rid of excess juice left in pan.
- In a small bowl mix lemon juice, flax meal, grated ginger, freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes with 1/4 cup broth.
- Heat pan again over medium heat. Add 1 Tbs olive oil when pan is hot.
- Add broccoli and carrots to pan. Pour liquid ingredients on top and toss to coat.
- Cook over medium heat until broccoli is tender.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the green onions. Add the extra broth if preferred.
- Stir beef in until it’s coated with sauce, and let simmer for a few minutes until beef warmed through.
Adapted from Paleo Plan