Here’s a healthy nut-based snack for you. You probably see different forms of these Energy Balls at your local health food store or even at your coffee shop…and a hefty price tag. The other day I saw a sesame-based bar and it was $3.99!
Make your own! For way less! Here’s how!
- 2 cups nuts & seeds (organic almonds, pecans, walnuts or whatever you have on hand. Walnuts are great because they contain essential omega 3 fatty acids and this energy bar isn’t baked so the essential fats aren’t harmed)
- I used 1 cup walnuts and 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup organic pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup organic figs (great source of calcium!)
- 2 T ghee or coconut oil
- 1.5 T organic maple syrup
Put ALL ingredients into a food processor with the “S” blade. Turn it on and let er rip! After about a minute, open it up, scrape down the sides and let it go again.
You can eat it just with a spoon, or form it into balls as pictured. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 10 days ( if they last that long).
PS – this could totally be SCD legal if you use honey instead of maple syrup. I only used the maple because our honey comes in big pails and I didn’t want the extra job of getting a new jar of honey out of the pail.