We’d all be better off eating more broccoli. It’s as simple as that.
It’s green so it contains Magnesium, and Magnesium has over 400 functions in the human body.
Broccoli contains Calcium-D-Glucarate which binds excess estrogen in the GI tract so that it is excreted, not re-absorbed. This is a good thing but cancers like breast and ovarian can be “estrogen sensitive” and too much estrogen “feeds” them.
So, without further ado, here’s an easy, healthy recipe for non-dairy broccoli soup!
1 onion of any color, sliced or minced
1-2 T of coconut oil
~ 4 cups vegetable broth
1 large russet potato…or…..1 can coconut milk…..or 1/2 cup cashew butter (any of the 3 make it creamy)
4 cups broccoli pieces
1. In a heavy soup pot, coat onion slices in the oil, then add a lid and steam/sweat the onion for about 10 minutes. You want the onion soft but not caramelized or it will change the flavor.
2. Add the broth and your choice of potato/coconut milk/cashew butter. If you use potato, give it enough time to soften. If you use the coconut milk or cashew butter, just stir thoroughly.
3. Add the broccoli pieces and cover again so they steam.
4. When the broccoli is soft, remove from heat. If you are using an immersion blender, you can puree it while it’s pretty hot. If you are going to put it in a blender, be VERY careful as it can blow the top right off the blender when you puree hot food.
5. Salt to taste and garnish as you’d like. Pine nuts are divine with it!