As a kid, I remember going to Orange Julius at the mall, and getting one of their flagship smoothies. It’s been 40 years or so but my guess is that they were based in dairy (and maybe natural and artificial flavors right?!).
So here’s a simple little dairy free “Orange Julius” recipe creation for you that is AMAZING and is dairy free (as well as gluten free, & soy free).
The antioxidants in the banana and orange make this recipe a wonderful addition to any healing regime, or if you just want to add a burst of nutrients and energy to your day. Coconut water provides deep hydration and nourishment to your cells. The vanilla adds an ice cream type flavor (without dairy and without natural and artificial flavors) and its calming effects on the central nervous system will help you move through any stress you are facing over the day.
Whether it’s summer or winter when you are reading this, it is to your benefit to eat some uncooked (aka raw) foods each and every day. Personally, I drink a fresh-pressed juice after I drink my Berkey-filtered lime water…..and then follow it up with a smoothie. After that, I usually am ready for either a salad, or something savory.
Benefits of a raw foods are that:
- Raw (plant) foods contain enzymes that help us digest our food. This is a huge benefit, especially if you have any GI conditions (SIBO, IBS, Celiac, Food intolerances, etc). Stress is the #1 killer of hydrochloric acid (HCl), which burdens our ability to digest and absorb our meals. So eating foods that are easy to break down is a gift to ourselves!
- Raw fruits & veggies scrub the liver and they brush out the debris that has collected on the inside of the GI tract.
Dairy Free Orange Julius Smoothie Ingredients:
Load all ingredients into a high powered blender. I do put them in in the order below. If you put the frozen banana’s in first, then the blades have a hard time getting going. But if you do the oranges and water in first, it can start blending and then work its way through the frozen banana’s.
Start on a low speed to avoid a lid blast-off, and slowly increase speed until your drink is smooth and creamy. If your banana’s are REALLY frozen, then you might need more liquid. I try to let mine soften a bit before blending.
- 2 oranges, peeled, and cut into quarters (just so they break down into liquid quicker)
- 1/2 – 1 cup water (or coconut water if you have adrenal fatigue and can’t hang on to your electrolytes)
- 1 fresh banana
- 1.5 frozen banana’s (I peel them and then freeze them for easy use!)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or liquid (Heilala brand or other)
This dairy-free, raw smoothie is a life-saver for me most afternoons lately. It’s super easy and makes enough that Johny and I split it and it tides us over until we can get dinner ready.
I *highly* recommend giving it a whirl (ha!)