As a kid, I remember going to Orange Julius at the mall, and getting one of their flagship smoothies. It’s been 40 years or so but my guess is that they were based in dairy.
So here’s a simple little creation for you that is AMAZING and is dairy free (as well as gluten & soy free).
I’ve made it a personal goal lately to eat more raw foods. I juice and do smoothies in the AM…..and then move into cooked foods mid-afternoon or dinner time.
Benefits of a raw diet are that:
- Raw (plant) foods contain enzymes that help us digest our food. Stress is the #1 killer of hydrochloric acid and I’ve no doubt that I could work on this personally. In the meantime, eating raw plant foods has enormous health benefits.
- Most fruits & veggies are low in fat and calories and digest easily, so they allow the liver to do a little internal housecleaning (detoxification, or biotransformation if you want to get technical).
Load all ingredients into a high powered blender. Start on a low speed to avoid a lid blast-off, and slowly increase speed until your drink is smooth and creamy.
- 1.5 frozen banana’s (I peel them and then freeze them for easy use!)
- 1/2 cup water (or coconut water if you have adrenal fatigue and can’t hang on to your electrolytes)
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into quarters (just so they break down into liquid quicker)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
This dairy-free, raw smoothie is a life-saver for me most afternoons lately. It’s super easy and makes enough that Johny and I split it and it tides us over until we can get dinner ready.
I *highly* recommend giving it a whirl (ha!)