Toxins are ONE of FOUR CAUSES of chronic disease.
There certainly is no shortage of toxins out there, and if you keep reading, you can see that toxins damage DNA, your nervous system, your endocrine system and can alter “metabolism”.
Heavy metals, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, (including what is sprayed at the park, golf courses, and perhaps your own yard), rodenticides (anti-rodent), DDT, personal care items, perfumes and colognes, cleaning products, new car chemicals, furniture chemical, clothing chemicals, home-building products (flame retardants, carpets, paints, lacquers), plastic and metal cookware, plastic and metal food containers in your own home, aluminum cans and plastic containers that your food comes in, dishes you eat on and ceramic mugs, dental procedures, medical injections, some joint replacement options, tattoo’s, sprays on conventional (non-organic) food, our air, and our water. Living in a home with mold sure doesn’t help this since it adds to the body’s burden!
This is not an exhaustive list but you get the idea right?! Over my 20 years as a holistic /natural medicine nutritionist, I have learned A LOT about toxins and how they affect our health.
When I attended the 3-day intensive Detox Module with the Institute of Functional Medicine, there were 88,000 chemicals “generally recognized as safe” and that was 10+ years ago!
When I was in Anthony Williams Practitioner Training and Support group, my knowledge base expanded again.
It can seem depressing right? I hear you but I **also** want to encourage you that with the right action steps, you can start doing some internal house-cleaning (detoxification) and you can REVERSE conditions that are brewing, and you can move through the aging process confidently instead of fearfully.
“You can age gracefully
and have resilient health”
We were born with 5 organs that allow us to “bio-transform” and eliminate toxins we come into contact with. Before the Industrial Revolution, people DID die at all ages of the spectrum, but people were NOT dying of toxicity-associated health conditions (keep reading for a list of what these are). People died of infections and accidents, but not really from chronic health conditions like we see today.
Health conditions associated with toxins:
Dementia / Alzheimer’s
Auto immune conditions
Any skin condition (eczema, psoriasis, rashes, age spots, cracked heels…)
POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease)
Bi Polar Disorder
Health symptoms associated with toxins:
Confusion and/or memory issues
Weight imbalances (high or low)
Chemical sensitivities / Environmental Illness
Skin issues like eczema, psoriasis, vitiligo, itchy skin, dry cracked skin, age spots Edema
Tics and Spasms
Dry skin, cracked skin
Toxins are no joke. Again, they are one of a few root causes of illness. It makes sense right? Because living in our own cesspool of toxic waste can’t be healthy. If you aren’t eliminating those toxins on a daily basis, you are storing them!
When I was in graduate school, I was taught that we should do (4) 1-week detox’s a year. That was 25 years ago. Today, I believe we need to think about supporting our detox organs on a DAILY basis, since our level of exposure is so high.
If you haven’t ever watched 10 Americans by the Environmental Working Group, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It’s 22 minutes. You’ll see proof that you were born with toxins. We all are. Before I understood this, I used to be really ashamed that I got sick as a naturally trained / holistic health provider. I thought I should be immune to illness. But now I understand what went wrong in generations past and that I too was born with toxins that have affected my health.
Isn’t chronic illness genetic you ask?
I believe that conditions we call “genetic” are really tied to us inheriting toxins (and pathogens) from our parents (who inherited from their parents and so on down the line).
The bottom line is we are exposed in the womb, exposed on a daily basis and the toxins contribute to chronic disease.
But there ARE solutions!
Detox Solutions 101
- Flush flush flush and hydrate with high quality filtered water, or spring water. As usual, I am not talking about a Brita or a fridge filter. We use a Berkey charcoal-based water filter. It’s the best on the market. I drink 3 quarts of filtered water a day, and I get a 4th quart (or liter) since I add about 16 oz to each of my 2 smoothies. Our bodies are 70% water and our brains are 90% water. Drink up! Get to flushing!
- TIP: Add fresh lemon or lime juice to each quart of water.
- Add 1 quart of cucumber juice to your routine. Straight cucumber juice helps to flush toxins that have been accumulating.
- Choose organic food when available and financially feasible which keeps your intake down.
- At least purchase organic leafy greens, organic berries, and the Dirty Dozen foods which are identified by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) as highly sprayed.
- Eat LOADS of (organic) fruits, veggies, and leafy greens. These foods should be the basis of the food guide pyramid. Fresh and frozen produce in its natural state has vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that facilitate optimal health.
- Include a raw item at each meal. Foods in an uncooked state offer up digestive enzymes to help you with the digestive process. Then you can put that saved energy into some internal housecleaning instead of ‘just’ digesting your food!
- A fruit/greens smoothie is ideal for breakfast.
- If you eat cooked food at lunch, snack on cucumber or tomato slices or any other raw veggie that is in season!
- Keep fat a minimum and keep it out of your breakfast at all costs. And if/when you can, keep it out of your lunch. Fat slows detoxification as your liver has to switch its focus away from detoxification and toward digestion of fat via bile.
- Include daily skin brushing in your routine. You can learn how to do this on You Tube. There are various opinions on what is best.
- Rebound for 5-20 minutes each day. It’s important you do this when well hydrated so if you have time, rebound after your quart(s) of morning lemon water. I own and use a Leaps and Rebound extra wide model. It has bands instead of springs so it’s quiet and it will last longer.
- Take a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom Salts as often as you feel called to do so. For some, that will be once a week. Others may want to do it a few times a week. If you have city water, you’ll want to have a bath filter so you aren’t sitting in fluoridated, chlorinated water. Allow yourself 20 minutes in the tub so your pores open up and the magnesium salts have a chance to draw the toxins out.
Detox Solutions 201
- Incorporate freshly juiced celery into your morning routine. It’s ideal 15-30 minutes after your 1st or 2nd quart of lemon water.
- Incorporate Anthony Williams Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie into your morning routine. It’s ideal 15-30 minutes after your celery juice.
- 2 Cups of Wild Blueberries frozen – we get the Wyman brand
- 2 ripe banana’s (not green, spotty but not fermented)
- 1/2 cup of fresh organic cilantro
- 1 tsp Spirulina – there are many brands to choose from and we use Nutrex
- 1 tsp barley grass juice extract powder which is not the same as barley grass powder. This is the JUICE which is then dried. Check Vimergy or Green Magma brands.
- Juice of 1 orange freshly squeezed (or if you are in a rush, throw the whole orange in!)
- Blend and enjoy through the morning!
- Spend time each week in a far infrared sauna. These use light to generate heat and you’ll start to sweat, which is a way to release those toxins. The heavy metals arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury, pesticides including DDT, and the plasticizers biphenyl A and phthalates, and the flame retardant PBDE, have all been shown to be present in sweat in higher concentrations than are present in the blood. This means that not only do these chemicals pass freely from the blood to the sweat, but they are actively concentrated and excreted. This is great news! Be sure you are well hydrated. You can sweat 1 quart/liter every 30 minutes. If you have cucumbers on hand, drink a quart or two of cucumber juice around your sauna time as the cucumber juice helps flush toxins out too.
Detox Solutions 401
- When you have really got a strong foundation under you, you can look into fascia blasting. Toxins get trapped in between our muscles, fat, and skin. Beware: this can REALLY dump toxins into your blood stream and if don’t have a capable liver going into this, you will be tired and sluggish for a few days. Be sure to drink at least your gallon of water each day. Keep your diet clean and low fat. Avoiding animal foods and processed sugar is helpful as those aren’t beneficial to healing fascia. Fresh cucumber juice, and Epsom salt baths, can be helpful to temper detox symptoms that result from Fascia Blasting.
I hope this information blesses you and allows you greater health and freedom in your life.