Food allergies and food sensitivities are not the same. I clarified that topic, and answered a familiar question about food sensitivity testing, and you can read the difference between the two HERE.
And today, I’m going to teach you how to HEAL food sensitivities. Not just manage them with a low FODMAP diet. But how to actually heal them!
My hope is that if you are struggling with this issue, you can identify some key healing strategies that will help you restore YOUR health and allow you to have MORE freedom and JOY in your life!
Root cause(s) of food sensitivities.
- Pathogens play a role. Certain strains of EBV create excess histamine and the body reacts to it.
- Poor liver function is also a MAJOR player (even if your labs are within normal limits).
- Another piece is low hydrochloric acid and low quality or quantity bile and food is not being broken down like it should in the digestive process.
Of course, no two treatment plans are the same. But I will review one case in particular and you can use it as a guideline for your own healing.
A patient of mine, who shall be referred to as J.B., presented with severe food intolerance’s at our first office call in November of 2018. We had our first session on 11/15/18. I asked her to make as many of the changes outlined below as she could. We had a follow up on 12/4/18 and I helped her with questions, and to keep making changes in her diet. And by 12/13/18, J.B. said she was “amazed at what she could already eat and not have reactions“. In the past, she was reacting to most every food she ate!
She healed and you can too!
These are the things we started doing in our nutrition-based protocol:
1. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate! I encourage all of my patients to drink 1 gallon of filtered water a day. It’s important to have a good filter, not just the one on your fridge or your Britta. Johny and I use a Berkey and I believe it’s the best you can buy. If you have city water, make sure you are using the fluoride filters in addition to the charcoal filters, as fluoride is a neurotoxin derived from aluminum.
Add *fresh* lemon or lime juice to each quart. Quite often, people with food intolerance’s react to the lemon or lime juice. If that is you, start with one drop per quart. If you react to that, try a small amount of fresh orange or grapefruit juice added to your water. If that still causes a reaction, then add some fresh cucumbers. Most people can do the latter. If all of these cause reactions, just start with plain high quality filtered water.
You can substitute 1 quart of water for a quart of green juice if you wish, but only if you are the one juicing it or you purchase at a juice bar and drink it straight away. I do not mean the bottled juices you buy at the natural food store. Straight cucumber juice is especially cleansing to the blood stream and kidneys if you would like to incorporate it into your routine as part of the 4 quarts of hydrating fluid you drink each day.
If you drink any herbal teas, they would be in addition to your 4 quarts of water/fresh pressed juice. Consider a mug of dandelion tea at night to support liver health.
2. In addition to the 4 quarts of water / fresh pressed juiced a day, aloe water is incredibly helpful to heal food sensitivities. Aloe is a natural antibiotic if you have any bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) contributing to your food intolerance’s. It purifies the blood which means it helps remove the byproduct of EBV (Epstein Barr Virus). It is soothing to digestive disorders. For best results, purchase a whole fresh leaf at your natural food store. Skin a 2″ piece and if you need help, there are a lot of videos on You Tube. Blend with water and consume. If that is ghastly and not an option, blend it with fresh orange juice and coconut water and it will taste like an Orange Julius from your childhood!
3. Celery juice is in a league of its own and also a foundational item to how to heal food sensitivities/intolerance’s. Celery juice, like cucumber juice, should be the only ingredient if you want the special medicinal benefits it offers. It should be drunk within 15-30 minutes of preparation as it oxidizes easily. And it should be 30 minutes after water or 1 hour+ after a meal depending on what you ate.
Celery juice is also in addition to your 4 quarts of water/fresh juice, like aloe. Do the best you can each day and don’t beat yourself up as it’s a HUGE change from what you probably did before this.
My personal morning routine is to drink 1-2 quarts of lemon water upon rising. Then a quart of fresh celery juice. And in the summer when cucumbers are free from the garden, I’ll drink a quart of cucumber juice. Depending on how much lemon water I drank in the morning, I’ll drink more lemon water in the afternoon and early evening.
I did 4 quarts of water, plus celery juice, plus cucumber juice…for about a year. These days, I’m happy if I drink 2-3 quarts of water a day in addition to my fresh juices. I eat a high raw diet which also adds to my hydration status.
If you are wondering, yes, I urinate a lot. Like once an hour but my health has been worth it. I feel great. My skin glows. My brain works. And I feel like I’m reversing the aging clock!
Celery juice was a critical piece to healing my own SIBO and food intolerance’s as it changes the chemistry of the GI tract, cleanses the liver, and kills pathogens on contact.
4. Lower the fat!!!!! This is SO important. When you eat fat, your liver is called to produce bile to help break it down. Just like you use dish soap to break up the fat when you do dishes, your body uses bile to break up the fat you eat. Lowering fat allows your liver to do other jobs. And lowering fat allows your liver to restore high quality bile to the storage tank (your gallbladder). Start by reducing fat by 50% from your normal diet. Skip fat completely at breakfast, and continue fat free until dinner every day you can and you’ll start to see how it helps to heal food sensitivities!
5. Start the process of killing the pathogens responsible for the histamine, and the byproduct that gums up the liver filters. For J.B., we used Lysine and vitamin C. The two are a powerful combo and stronger together than each individually.
I also prescribed Good State Ionic Zinc Concentrate for J.B. Our body has over 400 uses for zinc and the zinc in the soil has been neutralized by all of the chemical farming. So we don’t get enough! It’s critical for a healthy immune system!
I also noted that I had J.B. on curcumin. If you didn’t know, it’s a miracle food and offers a plethora of health benefits. It cleanses and heals the liver (blood purifier), and heals GI conditions. The active ingredient is curcumin and consuming it is one of the best things you could do for your health.
6. Pay special attention to your liver in general. I have mentioned in this blog how I used certain foods, and restricted fat intake, because of their restorative effects on the liver. I did a 1 hour webinar and recorded it. I reviewed 20 natural strategies to restore liver health. Diet was just one strategy of the 20 presented, so that means I covered A LOT of other information too! 20 Ways to Naturally Heal Your Liver.
Here’s why liver health relates to food intolerance’s: you eat food and in theory you chew your food well. It passes to your esophagus, to your stomach and HCL acts to break down proteins and kill pathogens. Next it passes to the small intestine and bile is provided to break down fat and kill pathogens. The fiber exits your body via a bowel movement, and the nutrients that will fuel your body pass via the portal vein to the liver.
When things aren’t working well, the liver gets overwhelmed with partially digested food fragments, bacteria & viruses that were not neutralized, and fat that is not properly broken down. It becomes a little like a swamp if you don’t mind thinking of it that way. And as you continue to eat, and things continue to go south digestively, the liver can’t properly clean the blood. Histamine from what you ate yesterday is still circulating around in the blood that the liver can’t get clean, and now more fuel is added to the fire with the next meal you eat.
7. Keep stress low. If you are stressed, emotionally or physically, your body secretes adrenaline, cortisol, and other stress hormone blends. These are like battery acid in your blood stream and on your organs (including the liver!). Stress hormones are a necessary evil to get you through a tough event, but we should not be living on a daily basis with adrenaline blends coursing through our veins.
8. Heal your liver which is part of your digestive tract system. The 20 ways to naturally heal your liver has a big section on diet. I am certain that if you listen to that and incorporate the strategies provided, and utilize the strategies above, that you too can heal your food sensitivities / intolerance’s. But I would like to add that maradol papaya are a bonus to your healing regimen. It supports healing of digestive disorders, and symptoms of bloating, gas, nausea. It has a soothing cleansing effect on the GI tract and gently removes that toxic debris we mentioned above. It’s anti-viral so goodbye Epstein Barr Virus (EBV)! Consider eating a few seeds via a blended smoothie!
There you go! I hope you enjoyed learning how to heal food sensitivities.
If you know someone affected by this issue, be sure to share with him/her! If you are frustrated or feeling hopeless about your health, know that you can become more resilient!
Download my free Resilient Health guide.
Restore YOUR health!
Here to support you every step of the way!
Tracy Konoske MS RDN
Americas Virtual and Integrative Nutritionist
Food & Health Expert
I help people with chronic and mystery illness recover their health!
Specializing in Gastrointestinal Conditions, Neurological Disorders, Immune Dysfunction, and Toxicity issues
CEO & Founder of Healthy Lifestyles, Inc (since 1999)