My goal in life as an integrative & functional nutritionist is to identify and treat root causes.
Although I’m mostly going to be talking about vertigo today, the same root causes and treatments apply to those suffering from tinnitus, hearing loss, numbness and tingling, POTS, restless leg syndrome, nerve/muscle spasms, tics, fluttering heart, tremors, trouble swallowing, startling easily..
These are ALL symptoms or conditions related to an inflamed, sensitive, and damaged central nervous system.
In conventional medicine, vertigo has no real cure. Nor do the other conditions noted. Yes, we can treat symptoms but no one is talking cures for these.
That is where we part ways.
Fortunately, my training has empowered me with the knowledge that it is viruses that inflame the central nervous system.
Heavy metals can also participate in the process, and if you have both, you can have evil manifestations like Parkinsons and ALS.
- Feeling off balance or like you just got off a boat and its still moving
- Car sickness
- Difficulty walking
- Feeling spacey or disconnected
- At its worst, it comes with nausea and vomiting.
Vertigo is associated with:
- Ringing in the ears
- Hearing loss
Again, in my training, these make sense since these ALSO are symptoms of a virus inflaming the nervous system. The same applies to the other conditions mentioned above.
If you’ve been around long, you know that pathogens are 1 of 4 root causes of chronic disease and mystery illness. (The other 3 are diet, toxins, and stress.)
In my own healing journey from chronic neurological Lyme, I’ve become a pathogen detective. I’ve had vertigo – as a result of viruses being triggered and inflaming my central nervous system – several times in the past few years.
So what you are reading today comes from my own personal experience and how to heal.
Why doesn’t conventional medicine understand the role of viruses you ask? Well, on some level they do. For example, viruses are implicated in Guillain Barre syndrome, a neurological condition similar to Multiple Sclerosis.
But because pathogens keep mutating, and because they tend to live inside organs and aren’t just out swimming in the blood stream, they are incredible difficult to test for and identify. Blood tests can only capture what is in the blood. Doctors would have to do a biopsy to capture what is living inside our organs or nervous system and that isn’t practical, safe, or cost effective.
But that doesn’t mean we should ignore viruses’ role in neurological conditions.
Root causes of neurological damage:
Based on the best information we have today, vertigo, hearing loss, numbness, POTS, restless leg syndrome, nerve/muscle spasms, tics, fluttering heart, tremors, trouble swallowing, startling easily…and a host of other symptoms are a result of a pathogen – specifically a Herpetic virus – inflaming the nervous system.
My treatment protocol below is a blend of what I’m personally doing for chronic neurological Lyme, the whiplash accident I experienced in April of 2017 with nerve damage, and the vertigo I got from food poisoning in September 2017.
Please know this is not an exhaustive list. I have done a lot more than this, but my goal in writing this up is to give you hope and an idea of what is involved.
You Can Heal.
- Gluten free and grain free; dairy free, no eggs, soy/corn/GMO foods, canola oil, refined sugar, etc.
- Lots of healing fresh green juices
- Green leafy salads
- Raw foods eaten with cooked foods (meaning a salad if I was having veggie soup for dinner)
- Food combining for optimal digestion
- Hydration – I drink 3-4 quarts of filtered clean water a day. I add lime juice to each quart. I often add a mini ice cube of juiced ginger.
- I eat a snack containing glucose and minerals salts every 90 to 120 minutes to keep my blood sugar stable; this is critical as the nervous system requires glucose and special mineral salts to function. Omitting this step will keep someone from healing.
When I have a flare, I eat these foods specifically to support healing, per the book Life Changing Foods by Anthony Williams
- Sweet potato’s
How to Heal Vertigo, and Neurological Damage using supplements:
I take/took supplements/herbs like these to kill pathogens (bacteria and viruses)
- Ester C + Bioflavanoids by Pure Encapsulations (Wellevate). Update 12/2020: Pure Encapsulsations was bought by Nestle. I would now recommend either Vimergy Ester C, or Purium brand vitamin C.
- L-Lysine by Pure Encapsulations (Wellevate)
- Cats claw alcohol free tincture by Nature’s Answer or Vimergy
- Licorice alcohol free tincture by Nature’s Answer or Vimergy
- Curcumin by Progressive Labs (available at Wellevate)
- Sovereign Silver (Wellevate)
- Good State Ionic Zinc Concentrate (2 oz bottle)