GMO stands for genetically modified organisms. These are plants and animals that have been genetically modified by scientists to produce favorable traits. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the people in the U.S. don’t even know what a GMO is, let alone that they are eating them on a daily basis.
6 facts you should know about GMO’s:
1. GMO is different than good old hybridization. We used to take 2 strains of wheat and mix them. That was hybridization. NOW, scientists take two DIFFERENT organisms (like fish and tomatoes) and mix them. You think I’m making that up but I’m not.
2. GMO’s have people like me concerned because the most common trait that is engineered into these (new, foreign) plants is to resist pesticides. Now, more pesticides can be used to control weeds and pests. Yeah, like we need that huh? Pesticides are NOT salad dressing.
3. There are no, I repeat no, long term safety studies when it comes to feeding GMO’s to humans. Who’d sign up for it to start with? The longest study yet was on rats and in 2 years they looked like this:
4. GMO’s are banned in the European Union and most any other country in the world – except the U.S. – because of what happened to the rats. There’s good reason they don’t want them in their food supply! Over there, the GOVERNMENT is responsible for the health of the people!
5. If you eat a processed food, it most likely contains GMO’s. Why? Sugar, corn, and soy are big-time GMO crops. Sugar beets are now 100% GMO. The vast majority of corn or soy are now grown from GMO seeds. What is in processed food? Anything in a wrapper with multiple ingredients likely contains sugar, corn, or soy – or all 3.
So besides increased pesticide/herbicide/insecticide exposure, and funky tumors, what’s the fuss about GMO’s
6. GMO food isn’t what God gave us. It is now a foreign, or brand new, protein structure. Our immune system sees this new protein structure and thinks it’s a bad guy, so it initiates or activates the immune system.
You see, when we are babies, our immune system learns that rice, sweet potatoes, peas and the like are safe. But that window of opportunity closes so introducing a new protein once we’re adults is bad news.
The other problem with GMO’s in our food supply is that we’re now eating the food designed to kill the bugs. It’s called the BT toxin. The pest eats the BT toxin, and it destroys the pests’ gut. It literally breaks the gut open. Well, have you noticed the tsunami of food allergies, autism, and auto immune diseases in our country? It isn’t just better screening- we have more chronic disease today. Think it might be connected to our food supply?
Did you know that if you put all of the auto-immune diseases together (instead of classifying them as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Celiac Disease, MS, Crohns, etc) it would be the #1 chronic disease we face as a country?!
The Bottom Line: I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the introduction of GMO’s into our food supply (changing the very food we eat on a daily basis), and spraying it with MORE chemicals, correlates with the staggering increase in chronic disease.
GMO Food Solutions
1. Eat whole foods – most fruits, most vegetables, beans/legumes, whole grains like rice/quinoa – are not GMO. Not yet anyway. Papaya and zucchini are the exceptions.
2. Buy organic. Organic foods, by definition, can not contain GMO’s. Not only do you avoid GMO’s, you avoid pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides.
3. If you are a meat eater, purchase grass fed or pasture-raised meats. If you are buying beef that is fed GMO corn (remember most all corn is now GMO), you are only 1 step away from eating it yourself. We are what we eat. We are also what THEY eat.
4. Look for this label. For example, Bob’s Red Mill corn isn’t organic but it isn’t GMO. But you’d only know that if you called the company or if you saw this on the label.
5. Watch this documentary Genetic Roulette by GMO researcher Jeffrey Smith
You might also be interested in Why Diet Plays a Role in Immune Health