You’ll never guess the one ingredient in this delicious sauce….It’s not sugar!
I’ll give you a hint- it’s a caramel colored root vegetable loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, folate and more.
If you guessed sweet potato you’re right! Here’s the recipe, enjoy!
Makes about 1/4 cup
3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Place chopped potatoes with 1/2 cup of water into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour, bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and add the additional 1/2 cup of water.
5. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and pour everything (liquids and solids) in it. Let it drain into a saucepan for 30 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
6. Once it is cool enough to handle, squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the potatoes in the cheesecloth. You should be left with about 1 1/2 cups of water.
7. In the saucepan, bring the sweet potato liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer to reduce for 15-20 minutes.
8. The liquid will begin to thicken and become a caramel. Stir very often in the last few minutes.
9. Pour the caramel in a glass jar and try not to eat it on everything in a day or two! Bet ya can’t!
Serve over non-dairy ice cream if you are indulging..
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit