I recently got a Vitamix blender and am so excited to try different types of blended soups this winter. Beets are one of my favorite vegetables and are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, fiber, and more! I love roasted beets with rosemary and think I’ll try adding some rosemary next time. This is a great winter recipe for a cozy night in. (You don’t need a Vitamix to make it! Any blender or food processor will do!)
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 small carrot, peeled and diced
1 red onion, sliced
2 cans diced tomatoes (I recommend no added salt and organic)
1 large red beet – roasted, peeled, and cubed
salt and pepper to taste
something green to top before serving – chives or parsley
- Heat some coconut oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and carrot until soft.
- Combine your prepared beets, carrot/onion mixture, and canned tomatoes in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add the mixture to a large soup pot and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into serving bowls and top each with chives, parsley, or other herb for a little color just before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Paleo Diet