Using a potato as a base is an easy way to add thickness and creamy texture to all your vegan (and gluten free) soups. This healthy recipe has minimal ingredients and is simple and quick enough for a busy weeknight meal. I adapted the recipe from Vegan Family Recipes, click through to find more vegan meal ideas.
Sweet potato is a healing and nutritious vegetable. They help to lower blood pressure and reduce stress. They are one of the best anti-cancer foods, and can particularly help to prevent breast, colon, lung, skin, and oral cancers. Food IS medicine!
Sweet potatoes are known for being easy to digest and are very good for ulcers, inflamed colons, digestive disorders, and constipation (Anthony Williams).
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on your taste), crushed
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
5 cups low sodium vegetable broth or make your own (see below)
- Prep your ingredients.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic until and cook until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potato and cauliflower and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth and simmer on low heat until the sweet potatoes are soft (~15-20mins).
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or add it to a stand up blender.
- Top with your favorite garnish. It would go great with roasted pumpkin seeds, chives, parsley, or pine nuts!
DIY (Healthy) Vegetable Broth:
8 cups water
2 onions, coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
2-3 carrots, coarsely chopped
2-3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
2 fresh tomatoes, quartered
1 cup fresh mushrooms (or equivalent dried)
Optional depending on how you’ll use the broth: Thyme, oregano, ginger, garlic, sage..
Remember, fresh and dried herbs are one of the most powerful medicine’s on the planet!