As you probably know by now, I changed my diet when I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease in 2015. If you are new to chronic Lyme, being diagnosed with it is about like being told you have cancer. Or at least that is my experience. There aren’t many answers for it, even in the functional medicine world.
So what’s a girl to do??? I’ve done a lot of things to heal, but in terms of my diet, I decided the answer was to eat even more fruits, veggies, and leafy greens. Healing foods. Now instead of labeling myself as Paleo, I’d say I’m vegan with a side of paleo. Meaning my diet is now 98% plant based. And I occasionally have a clean piece of our own grass fed beef, (wild) elk, or some wild salmon.
That said, this is a wonderful plant-based, healing foods recipe.
- Cauliflower is a great source of sulfur which aids in liver biotransformation pathways (detox reactions).
- Onions and garlic are anti-pathogen and we ALL have some sort of pathogen burden.
- Oregano is fantastic at killing pathogens as well. Its ORAC value is one of the highest!
- Healthy tip: Tomatoes are acidic and thus leach metals from a can, so always try to buy in glass. Or at least a lined container (Muir Glen brand).
I like to make my own veggie broth in large batches and freeze it. You can see my easy DIY broth recipe here.
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
3/4 cup red onion, diced
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
28 oz diced tomatoes, no added salt
1/2 cup vegetable broth, (homemade is best!)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
5 large zucchinis, spiralized
1. Place all ingredients, except the zucchini, in your crock pot. Cook on high for 3 and a half hours.
2. When its done, and the cauliflower is tender, mash the cauliflower with a potato masher or fork until the florets break up to create a “bolognese.”
3. Scoop the bolognese over bowls of zucchini noodles.
Recipe from Inspiralized.
About Tracy Konoske, MS, RDN
Tracy Konoske is an eclectic clinician and uses a blend of natural, integrative, functional, and personalized medicine to help her patients feel their best. Tracy understands that there are 4 drivers of chronic disease: Toxins, Infections, Stress, and Diet. And it's often a combination of all 4 that lead to a chronic health condition, and thus it takes a treatment plan addressing each of the 4 to resolve and reclaim good health. Tracy has recovered from 2 "perfect storm" situations which had drastic effects on her health and led to multiple mystery illnesses and diagnosis including Lyme.
By reducing the burden of these triggers, Tracy is successfully resolving:
- Fatigue (anemia's, adrenals, thyroid-related, chronic fatigue syndrome, ME-CFS)
- Auto Immune Conditions (Hashimoto's, Lupus, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Celiac)
- Mental Health Conditions (anxiety, depression, OCD, ADD/ADHD)
- Cognitive Dysfunction (trouble concentrating, forgetfulness, symptoms of early Alzheimer's)
- Digestive Disorders (low hydrochloric acid, "leaky gut", Candida Albicans, Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth SIBO, IBS, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis)
- Migraines and chronic headaches
If you've one or more of the above-mentioned conditions, or have been told you have Lyme or chronic Lyme, there's a good chance you are in the right place.
If you have a history of chronic sore throats, tonsillitis or tonsillectomy, mononucleosis, glandular fever, shingles, and/or cold sores, there's a good chance you are in the right place.
There are no coincidences. All good things come from God.