Can I be a virtual patient?
Yes! Visits are typically phone-based. There are some real advantages to this approach:
- You as a patient can pick the best possible clinician for you and your health goals. You are not limited to your local practitioner who may not be skilled in a particular area.
- You do not have to travel, saving time, gas, hotel, and eating out expenses. This is especially important for people who live in more remote areas.
- Appointment times can be more flexible.
- You can keep appointments even while traveling, one of the biggest risk times for ‘falling off the wagon’.
- If you move, you can continue your relationship.
What is Functional Medicine?
At it’s core, functional medicine is simply 3 things:
1. Find and address the root cause, not manage symptoms. This involves understanding biochemistry, nutrient needs, root causes of imbalances, and a willingness on Tracy’s part to be a “medical Columbo” and connect the puzzle pieces.
2. Understand that each organ system “talks” to the other organ systems. As such, the whole body must be looked at, not parted out piece by piece (rheumatology, endocrinology, gastroenterology etc). At it’s core, healing involves digestive wellness which is why Tracy can help so many as “just” a nutritionist. Did you know that 70-80% of your immune system resides in the Gastrointestinal tract?! That means food plays an enormous role in your well being!
3. Patient centered meaning that YOU as the patient get to have a voice, get time with your health care provider, and get your OWN treatment plan. This is not a one-way relationship. You are involved. As providers, we literally can’t do this without you!
Functional medicine is a paradigm shift in thinking. It’s what medicine should be and what medicine should have been all along. Functional Medicine is the medicine of the future. It makes sense. And it works.
Who should see Tracy?
On the home page, you probably saw a list of the people Tracy can best help – those with migraines and chronic headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Joint Pain, and auto immune diseases. Often, when food triggers are removed and imbalanced supported, other conditions also improve – like weight management, skin conditions, insomnia/sleep quality, and energy/fatigue, hormones, etc.
Many patients find Tracy after conventional medicine fails them. They’ve tried a plethora of alternative treatments to no avail…or they wish to avoid medications which won’t treat the root cause of their condition….or their provider just shrugs and says “you’re fine” and yet that little voice inside says “no way am I fine”.
Others wish to prevent chronic disease and achieve optimal wellness. They understand that good health is the key to a full life and that every day choices add up.
Tell me more about the Get Acquainted Session
If you’ve read through the website, you probably have a pretty good idea on whether or not you and Tracy are a good fit. Together, you’ll review your medical history and Tracy can answer any questions you may have. You both must pick each other in this process. Tracy needs to know that you are within her scope of practice and expertise and that you are in a place in life that you can invest in your healing. You’ll want to know that Tracy can and has helped others who have a similar condition. Because identifying and treating root causes is a long-term process, it is important that you both feel comfortable and that you feel that Tracy is ‘the one’ to help you transform your life.
How do I know if Tracy is qualified?
Tracy is an expert at natural, integrative, functional, and personalized medicine. Tracy has been a licensed, Registered Dietitian for 18+ years and began the Food-is-Medicine journey in the early 90’s. She has helped hundreds of people get their life back.
Tracy has a BS in Psychology (1987) and a Masters Degree in Nutrition from Bastyr University (1998). She has studied functional medicine for years, having worked for Dr. Jeffrey Bland during graduate school. She has completed all the coursework offered by the Institute for Functional Medicine.
Tracy’s business, Healthy Lifestyles, Inc. is a registered corporation in Montana, in good standing since 2002 (Business Entity Search).
Does Tracy bill insurance?
No, insurance does not yet cover virtual work, nor does insurance cover many other services that are valuable and beneficial for people’s health on a pro-active basis.
Tracy DOES have an NPI # and is able to do some labs through insurance. Many labs offer very reasonable co-pays on lab work meaning that even if you have a high deductible plan, or have not yet met your deductible, you still just make your co-pay and no further money is required.
Read a much more extensive piece on her Financial Policy & Info Page.
Can I use my flex plan?
Probably but each case is different.
Does Tracy file with Medicare?
No, Tracy is not a participating provider with medicaid or medicare and she can NOT order labs when Medicare is the primary insurer.
Are the prices on the website? I can’t find them.
They are not. The first step is the Get Acquainted meeting. Just like if you were to take your car to the shop, an oil change costs less than a tune which costs less than a new engine.
If you are a good fit and you both choose each other in the Get Acquainted session, the next step is to pick a package that offers you what you need and this can only be discussed once that is established. Some patients have multiple health conditions and have been sick a long time. Others only battle one or two conditions and it’s not as time-intensive on Tracy’s part. After years in the business, Tracy has a sense of how much research it may take to get you better – time behind the scenes putting together your health puzzle and treatment plan – and so it’s a bit of a case by case process.
In either case, Tracy can not help you in 2 or 3 sessions and if she is going to research your condition and make you your own treatment plan, then you need to follow up and be invested as well. Plan on a minimum of 4 months and for many it’s a longer process. It’s a commitment on both ends This type of medicine isn’t about band aids or quick fixes and one of the things Tracy guarantees each patient is TIME. She limits her active patients at any one time so that you get the attention you need, crave, and deserve.
Can I purchase professional quality supplements through Tracy?
YES, Tracy can help you decide what products might serve you best, and can help you access a broad array of professional quality* vitamins, minerals and supplements. Together, you can and will decide what is right for you based on your history, needs, and budget.