In my last post, I also wrote about how to Start Healing Now. I guess that makes this a little mini series to start out 2017!
2 out of 3 American’s have at least one chronic health condition these days.
- It might be something bothersome, but not life threatening, like seasonal allergies.
- But it also might be something bigger like chronic pain, insomnia, obesity, osteopenia, diabetes, dementia, Parkinson’s, ALS, etc.
How many health conditions do YOU have??? Want to change that? Keep reading!
Catch up on the mini-series and read about Juicing here. Juicing is life changing. If you have a bothersome, or more serious health condition, I highly recommend you watch some documentaries (this is my fav) and do some research. If you decide to buy a juicer, I’ve done a little informative video you can watch.
Moving on……Is this you?
- Have you lumped all carbs together and assumed they are ALL bad? You think fruit is as bad for you as chocolate cake?
- Are you trying to eat low carb but there’s not enough willpower to make it happen? You end up diving into a bag of chips, a box of cereal, candy or some other junk food?
Because of the current thought on this topic, I”m going to assume you answered yes to one or both of those statements. So let’s make this easy.
Fruit and refined grains are not the same.
Fruit is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Without it, we will age faster and we are prone to chronic diseases. I attribute my diagnosis of chronic Lyme, in part, to not eating enough fruit.
We need nutrient-dense foods like apples, pears, oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranates, sweet or tart cherries, grapes, kiwi’s, persimmons…..melons like watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe.
EVERY fruit I’ve mentioned has medicinal qualities.
YES, you should eat fruit.
YES, you should avoid processed refined foods.
The Myth: carbohydrates are bad for us. This is only true if your carbohydrates come from cookies, pie, cake, crackers, chips, breads, etc.
The Facts: Fruit is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Fruit is loaded with live water, fiber, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, co-factors, phytonutrients, and anti-oxidants.
20 (GOOD) Reasons to Eat Fruit
- Glucose is the #1 fuel of our body. Including our brains and muscles. Without glucose in the bloodstream, we would literally have low blood sugar, fall down, and lose consciousness. Or, assuming we could still walk, our muscles would fatigue easily and we’d tire just walking up a flight of stairs.
- As a food group, fruit offers the most anti-oxidants per serving. Without anti-oxidants, we age faster. Who wants that?! Not me!
- There are nutrients in fruit that help us repair our DNA, which helps us avoid mutations involved in genetic disorders, as well as cancers.
- Fruit cleanses the liver, our main detox organ. A dirty liver is akin to a dirty pool filter and no one wants that! It means toxins just recirculate and/or accumulate.
- Fruit cleanses our lymphatic system. Our lymph system akin to the garbage truck of our body, and helps us dispose of toxins.
- Eating fruit does not cause Candida. In fact, if you clear out the other processed foods in your diet, you WILL see Candida levels fall back to normal. Having Candida present is normal and healthy. Yes, when Candida rises, it signals trouble. But the trouble isn’t fruit. The trouble is the other refined sugars.
- Fruit is hydrating.
- Fruit contains fibers, meant to keep our digestive track healthy and moving along. As in “take the garbage out” each day!
- Some fruits in particular protect our brains from oxidizing (apples reduce brain inflammation, wild blueberries are showing positive results in reversing dementia and Alzheimer’s)
- Fruit is not expensive – compared to what it costs to eat out or buy processed food. Or what it costs to eat meat. Banana’s range in price from 0.57cents/lb to 0.79cents/lb. I can typically buy a whole watermelon for $4.99 or so and i can easily get 3-4 quarts of juice out of it. Eat in season to keep costs down.
- Fruit was Adam’s first food. Before we learned to kill animals, we were plant eaters. Vegetarians. No, I’m not saying you need to be a vegetarian but our life-sustaining nutrients come largely from plant foods. Animal protein is a choice but we can get optimal nutrition – including protein – from fruits, veggies, and leafy greens.
- Fruit easily digests into sugars that we can use. Eating fruit throughout the day allows our adrenals to rest. If we didn’t eat fruit, our adrenal glands would secrete cortisol and epinephrine which would signal our liver and muscles to release emergency stores of glucose. But cortisol and epinephrine are corrosive to our organs and running on this emergency fuel is not a good game plan.
- Fruit does contain fructose, which has gotten a bad rap. But fresh fruits supply only a small fraction of the fructose Americans consume (the biggest source is sugary beverages). Fruit isn’t what is killing us. Look into the shopping carts of unhealthy looking people. Is the cart full of fruit and veggies? Or processed food?
- Some fruits contain nutrients like hesperidin and limonene which are abundant in citrus fruits, but not in vegetables. Fruit matters!
- Jack La Lane ate 5-6 piece of fruit a day (and 10 servings of raw vegetables in addition to juicing). He was well ahead of his time, and ate fresh whole foods. He was known to say “If God didn’t make it, don’t eat it.” I couldn’t agree more.
- Eating fruit – and lots of it – is especially important if you are in recovery from alcohol addiction. You see, those folks need a higher amount of glucose for optimal brain function. Without it they are doomed to fail. There’s not enough willpower in the world to get through the brain literally starving itself of glucose.
- Even if you aren’t recovering from an addiction, eating fruit will keep your hand out of the cookie jar. We truly need glucose, and living on a low-carb diet just heightens the amount of willpower you need to get through the day. Too often, low-carb eaters find themselves binging on unhealthy carbs instead of just eating fruits.
- Fruit – as part of the Holy Trinity of fruits, veggies & leafy greens – prevents cancer.
- Since fruits cleanse the liver, fruit helps you find your optimal weight. A sluggish liver inhibits weight loss as we accumulate toxins and they create inflammation.
- Since fruit cleanses the liver, and our hearts pull blood from the liver via hepatic veins, heart disease can largely be attributed to a sluggish liver. Therefore, it’s easy to prevent heart disease by eating a plant-based diet which includes fruit.
- Bonus reason. Even if you are a Paleo-eater, you’ll notice that the people who are actually healing ARE eating a mostly plant based diet. Yes, they might have some lean animal protein too. But results don’t lie. Animal foods don’t heal. Plant foods do.
I hope you get the moral of the story! Eat More Fruit! It’s Gods gift to us. We are doing our bodies a disservice by avoiding or limiting it. Pass on the refined processed foods but do not give up fruit. I know it’s not popular right now, but I promise if you take my advice to heart, you’ll notice a difference in your health. This isn’t a short term recommendation. This is a lifelong plan. Eat More Fruit.
On a personal note: after my diagnosis with chronic Lyme – which is a lot like being diagnosed with cancer – I had to really re-evaluate my own diet. We ate whole foods but it was very meat based, but I decided it was not enough plants.
- Our dining room table is now FULL of fruit ripening: banana’s, mango’s, papaya, pineapple, kiwi’s.
- The fridge is full of lemons, limes, grapes, apples and oranges.
- And the freezer is full of blackberries, raspberries, pomegranates, cherries, and banana’s.
We buy so many banana’s that when Johny ran into a neighbor at the market, he asked if we’d bought a pet monkey! I”m telling ya, Eat More Fruit (and of course veggies and leafy greens).
Food is medicine. And plants are best!
Food-like-products are slow poison, full of health challenges.