“Should I be juicing or blending smoothies?”
I get asked this question a lot.
Want better health? The answer is: BOTH.
- Smoothies are essential because we DO need fiber to support a healthy microbiome. By eating the whole food, this is easily accomplished.
- Smoothies are also an amazing way to get a lot of calories in, if you struggle with gaining weight. Your friends will think your hiding a pet monkey when they see you at the market with a cart full of banana’s, but if you need to keep weight on, put 3-6 banana’s in each smoothie. And add 6+ medjool dates too. It will be creamy and delicious and easy to drink!
- If you don’t want to gain weight, keep your smoothie to 1.5 to 2 banana’s and just add 1 medjool date. Dates are awesome for adrenal health! Be sure NOT to add fat to your fruit & veggie smoothie as well.
- And last but not least, we can hide things in smoothies that we might not be fond of eating. I use my smoothie to make sure that I get a daily dose of raw spinach, cilantro, parsley, fresh aloe and a few other supplements that don’t affect the taste too much. Sure, I like all those foods, but without a smoothie, there would be plenty of days that I’d miss them. And if you have picky kids, you KNOW what I’m talking about!
I drink a smoothie ~ 360 days a year. When we travel, we look for a place with a kitchen. Or at least pack a long my immersion blender which will get me by in a pinch. It’s pretty rare that I miss a day!
- Juice is liquid medicine. It’s not just food anymore; it’s near to IV nutrition really. It doesn’t matter if you have a trashed gut, juice is easily and rapidly absorbed. In fact, I sometimes prescribe additional juicing to allow a patients digestive tract to rest and regenerate. Juice is a critical component for any serious health condition.
- Juicing allows high quality nutrients to cleanse the blood via liver and kidney detox pathways. We are exposed to toxins 24/7. From the mattress we sleep on to the air we breath. There is no getting away from toxins, and drinking a variety of fresh juice can support in their removal.
- Juicing alkalizes your tissues – and tons of research indicates that cancer can’t live in an alkaline environment. If you were to be diagnosed with any form of cancer, and wanted to treat it without chemo/radiation, juicing would be an essential piece of your treatment plan. Given that cancer is on the rise, drinking green juices is an effective prevention strategy. Why wait until their are potential dire consequences before adding in green juices to your life?
Juices and smoothies can be in addition to healthy meals, or in lieu of.
Every morning at the Konoske house, we do both. We juice, and then we each drink enough smoothie to hold us until lunch. If I’m in the mood and have time, I often find myself making another green juice or another smoothie mid-afternoon.
Juicing and drinking smoothies is definitely a good strategy if you want to insure you eat a massive amount of fruits & veggies! Food IS Medicine!!
What equipment should you get??
Johny and I have an older Omega 8005 juicer. It’s okay. It is a “slow” or “masticating” juicer so it doesn’t heat up the juice which oxidizes it. It has a narrow feed tube, so everything has to be cut up into long small pieces which is a pain. It requires more prep to juice things like apples and cucumbers. And if I do juice cucumbers, the pulp is very wet and I feel like I’m wasting food. It is easy to clean though.
Want to know what I’ll get when this one breaks someday? Ya, I’m not sure yet. I am still doing some research.
- Hurom makes a wide mouth slow juicer. But I don’t know if the pulp is dry. I’d like to get the most juice out of my food if I can.
- And Breville makes what appears to be a cross between a centrifuge and slow juicer and again I’ve heard some good things about how easy it is to use and clean.
- Tribest makes a juicer that a colleague does say has dry pulp but it’s also not easy to clean. And if it’s hard to clean and you juice every day, that is a recipe for avoidance!
Smoothie equipment is easy. I have owned a Vita Mix for ~ 15 years. Maybe longer. In fact, I might be the only person I know who has worn one out. We just replaced it with another Vita Mix last month. We have 2 containers and we make both of our smoothies at one time in the morning.
There are LOTS of good options. You don’t need a Vita Mix to make a smoothie, but if you are putting pomegranate seeds, and greens, you do need a good high-powered blender but there are several on the market these days. I happen to like the huge 2 liter container that Vita Mix provides.
What equipment do YOU have?
Got a juicer you LOVE? Tell me!!
About Tracy Konoske, MS, RDN
Tracy Konoske is an eclectic clinician and uses a blend of natural, integrative, functional, and personalized medicine to help her patients feel their best. Tracy understands that there are 4 drivers of chronic disease: Toxins, Infections, Stress, and Diet. And it's often a combination of all 4 that lead to a chronic health condition, and thus it takes a treatment plan addressing each of the 4 to resolve and reclaim good health. Tracy has recovered from 2 "perfect storm" situations which had drastic effects on her health and led to multiple mystery illnesses and diagnosis including Lyme.
By reducing the burden of these triggers, Tracy is successfully resolving:
- Fatigue (anemia's, adrenals, thyroid-related, chronic fatigue syndrome, ME-CFS)
- Auto Immune Conditions (Hashimoto's, Lupus, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Celiac)
- Mental Health Conditions (anxiety, depression, OCD, ADD/ADHD)
- Cognitive Dysfunction (trouble concentrating, forgetfulness, symptoms of early Alzheimer's)
- Digestive Disorders (low hydrochloric acid, "leaky gut", Candida Albicans, Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth SIBO, IBS, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis)
- Migraines and chronic headaches
If you've one or more of the above-mentioned conditions, or have been told you have Lyme or chronic Lyme, there's a good chance you are in the right place.
If you have a history of chronic sore throats, tonsillitis or tonsillectomy, mononucleosis, glandular fever, shingles, and/or cold sores, there's a good chance you are in the right place.
There are no coincidences. All good things come from God.